[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD (was Verituner.....)

Shawn Brock shawnbrock at fuse.net
Wed Dec 17 07:56:01 PST 2008

William,

your statements are dead on!  The only person who can say that an ETD tuning
is better than an aural tuning is a person who wouldn't know how to tune a
piano in the first place.  I have nothing against the ETD, I just have
something against some of its users.  If you are reliant on a machine to do
all of your calculations you are in trouble.  The truth be told other than
the mechanics of handling the tuning lever the only other thing you do
during tuning is calculating.  If the world couldn't perform mathematical
equations without a calculator we would be screwed wouldn't we?  I have
witnessed both good and bad tuning where an ETD or a ear was used.  If you
can't perform decent aural tunings you will find life is much more difficult
as a technician.  Getting to the point where I could do concert quality work
was the hardest thing I have ever been through in my life.  I had been a
professional musician for some time, performed on 12 Grammy winning
recordings, toured on 3 continents and did most everything you could do in
the business.  Learning to tune a piano was a different ball game and I'm
proud of my work.  An ETD is supposed to aid you in your journey not carry
you.  If the machine could carry a tuner we wouldn't have a job.  No one
would have any use for us anymore...  Some people go the ETD route so they
don't have to do that hard work of learning to tune aurally, and that's a
problem or it can/will be in the future.  To become a good craftsman you
have to struggle and face your challenges.  That's why some technicians
don't join the PTG.  They can't learn to tune the midrange by ear, so they
can't pass the tuning exam and they know it.  My opinion is the tuning exam
is easy enough for a good technician to pass, and if we make it any easier I
will drop out because the RPT designation won't mean anything anymore.

Regards,
Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com