[pianotech] Order Compensation?

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 18 15:39:47 PST 2008

David,

Thank you for your constructive criticism and yes I am aware of the mistakes I have made.  I was wondering whether under these circumstances I should pursue getting some kind of compensation.  The hammers were loose enough that the manufacturer after having me remeasure the shanks for him made me a complete new set and sent them to me overnight.  They would not sit on the shank without twisting sideways.  I have to resetup the piano so that a concert can be played this Sunday ( therefore replace guide hammers and travel to company and at least check tune.  trust me I thought my window was a lot bigger.  I will measure my windows more carefully in the future.

I am relatively new to all of this and seeing as the last 24 hours has been spent discussing PTG and the RPT testing let me say that as an associate working towards RPT status I am proud to be part of an organization that will so willingly help anyone and only wishes to provide a level of service to it's members that many organizations do not.

Regarding help from others David,  I am 5 hours from my chapter and it is very tough to participate in their activities so I read everything (PACE - Technical Guides - Reblitz....and this Blog) so I can work on my skills.  I love the work and don't ever want to do anything else - except play the piano which I love as much.

Thanks again,

Steven Hopp

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:31:16 -0500From: davidskolnik at optonline.netTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Re: [pianotech] Order Compensation?Living on the edge, in Texas,Why do you have to replace the samples? Why do you have to tune the piano an extra time?What kind of glue are you using?Jig?Just how loose were they? You should have contingency plans, in case they don't arrive (you know,like Christmas, or snow?) You have a number of chapter members who might be able to advise you, like Charles Ball or Tom Seay.  Is there a stand-in piano available?  Remember, tomorrow is Friday.Get some sleep.  You may be up for a few days.Don't ever promise.Once you're past this, you might be better off figuring out what you did wrong in planning, rather than angling for a discount.  After all, if you do make it through, as we hope, you might want to pay them for the learning opportunity.Good luck -David SkolnikHastings on Hudson, NYAt 08:26 AM 12/17/2008, you wrote:
Dear List, I started working on a hammer replacement job for a Baldwin Grand I am working on.  The company made the bore hole too large.  I was told by the man at the company ( a company who advertises in PTG magazine and was recommended to me by some of our list ) that he didn't know why he was having this problem and that he had made the hammers without a set of shanks that I ordered from him.  Meaning I ordered shanks and hammers from him.  He had the shanks sent seperately from the other side of the country.   This is a very important job for me and my reputation.  I promised the piano would be ready by a concert date on the 21st of this month.  The company promises to get me the new hammers by Friday the 19th leaving me 1 day to get the new hammers installed and enough regulation to make the piano playable for the concert.  At this time of the year this is tough. My question is:  though this company is (hopefully) going to replace these hammers by a date enough in advance for me to complete the job albeit roughly, should I expect some kind of monetary adjustement in the price I paid?  I now have to re-glue and replace the sample hammers, put the action stack back on, load the piano action into the car, return and replace the action in the piano, and tune the piano an extra time.  What is the consensus?  Thanks Working on Worry Lines in Texas Steven Hopp

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your Hotmail® account. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.9.18/1852 - Release Date: 12/16/2008 6:11 PM