[pianotech] RPT Credibility and "Status" (pianolover 88)

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:23:56 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Duaine & Laura Hechler <
dahechler at charter.net> wrote:

> In the computer industry, there are also professional certification
> which are well known - and - well used. I have lost several job
> opportunities because of the lack of certification - even though - I was
> in the computer business for over 24 years.

Duaine, reading of the above, and putting it together with what you have
written earlier, seems to say that you just aren't willing to put forth the
effort to get any kind of certification. Sounds whiny to me.

> To the "average" piano owner - and - the "general average" public, RPT
> don't mean squat.

True. But did Israel's helpful post not explain the long-term benefits of
raising the bar?  I have followed some of the shyster piano tooners around
here. Those that sold and installed 2 Dammpchaser bars for $800. The same
guy once set an ETD on top of the piano, sat down in an easy chair, and said
it was "tuning it electronically."  These worked, and unfortunately continue
to work, on the "average" piano owner.  Your arguments have absolutely no
force.

> Now, if my business depended on getting to RPT, then, yes, I would study
> like hell and pass the tests and be done with it. But.

Why don't you just follow your own advice, and get with it now?  Instead of
whining?  You gotta remember, I've spent enough time whining to myself, that
I'm an expert in detecting it now. :-)  Either quit whining about how PTG
ought to bend the rules to let you become an RPT, or just become one.
 Sheesh!

> Now, is there an RPT like credential for, oh say, piano refinishers,
> piano rebuilders, etc, and, in my case, player piano rebuilder and reed
> organ rebuilder. NO.

They could have their own guild if they don't want to be classified as a
"piano technician."  An RPT is just someone who has minimal competence as a
piano technician.  It doesn't mean he's an expert, or even qualified to do
things like refinishing or major rebuilding. It does mean that he has proven
minimal competence, and therefore, can reasonably be assumed to know how to
fix the normal problems in a piano.

> My point being that everyone in this business, you don't - need - to be
> an RPT to be a good, respectable technician and make a good, respectable
> living.

No, certainly not. I did it for years until I became an RPT (just this
year).  But, it does make one feel much more confident. :-)

> To quote old Louis Armstrong from a movie "End Of Story"

You promise?  I hope so. :-)  Or you could keep setting up straw men for us
to keep knocking down.  :-)  I'm not angry at you, Duaine.  In fact, I'm in
a rather excellent mood today.
--
JF