[pianotech] Dumping

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sun Dec 21 11:52:03 PST 2008

There is an old saying: "Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins."

This rule is sadly often, all too often, violated on the good old list. And in the somewhat distant past, I was one of the worst offenders, i.e., one who was quick to heap burning coals on the heads of people who expressed an opinion I disagreed with or (gasp) were actually wrong about something.

How many times have we seen arctic blasts directed at people when, in fact, the original message was misunderstood or misread in the first place.

The latest round has been a dump-fest on "Mr. H".  Well Mr. H is a friend of mine, active in our chapter for years, and is my "go to" guy for players and pump organs. He has yet to be receive his RPP rating (Registered Perfect Person) but I don't have mine either.

Like all of us, he carries certain burdens through life and most of you do not know what they are because you've never met him.

Yes he has strong opinions. Can we think of any others on the List who do?

No I don't agree with all his opinions. Anyone out their universally listened to?

And Ron, love ya buddy, but that diatribe on the "typical" player tech was rather ill-timed -- looked like a slam on "Mr. H's" work, which you have not seen.

I challenge the community to be a little slower to take offense and a little slower to draw yer shoot'n irons in 2009.

After all, if you DO walk a mile in the moccasins of a person with whom you disagree, you'll end up a mile away from him AND you will have his shoes!

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Kool Kwanza, or just Happy Holidays as the case may be.

Peace to all,

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO