[pianotech] Baldwin finish 1982

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 11:28:47 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Steven Hopp <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the type of finish Baldwin used C.1982 on their 7 foot
> grands.  And any suggestions for refinishing materials?  A lid I need to
> have refinished has some bad surface scratches and liquid rings from plants
> and decorations and general festive making in its vicinity.  I want to be as
> helpful to the guy who is doing the work for me as possible.  I am not a
> refinisher.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Steven Hopp

My first thought is that your guy who is doing the finish work should be
adequately prepared for whatever work you throw at him.  Is he?

I'm not a refinisher either, but "liquid rings" suggests lacquer.  Sandpaper
rubbed on polyester will create white powder.  Sandpaper rubbed on lacquer
or polyurethane will create black powder.  You can also rub a rag with a
little lacquer thinner on polyester, and it will create no black smudge on
the rag.  Obviously, you'd do this on an area that wasn't visible (unless
it's being refinished anyway).  Lacquer thinner on the others will leave a
mark on the rag.

--
JF