[pianotech] Baldwin Layoffs

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Dec 22 13:01:26 PST 2008

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft
Sent: December 21, 2008 4:50 AM
To: tunerryan at yahoo.com; pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Baldwin Layoffs

"Despite the continued decline of the American piano manufacturers the competent
rebuilders seem to be doing very well."

Very true Ryan, but I worry about the next generation of piano rebuilder that
must rebuild these Chinese pianos..........Oh my!

Al G

I can't see them being much more difficult to rebuild than pianos coming from
1950s and later Aeolian, Kimball, etc. All of which I've been asked to rebuild
over the years. They end up being better pianos than they ever were from the
factory.

The question is not whether they can be rebuilt but are they worth rebuilding.
If the money is there I'll rebuild (and redesign) anything but I do feel
ethically bound to explain that it will cost way more than the piano will be
worth. I expect the early Japanese, Korean and Chinese pianos will be similar.

ddf