[pianotech] Missing Steinway delivered!

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Tue Dec 23 08:00:45 PST 2008

Hello all,

Well, after three weeks of living in the Mutara Nebula, I can report that
the “missing” Steinway D has been delivered. This piano has been living in
all kinds of weather in the back of a delivery van all this time, and
possibly off-loaded into storage before reloading for final delivery. I hope
all the new wood, etc. has held up well. Although it is playable as it is
now, the local tech’s job is to complete the action and damper work, voice,
and tune, tune, tune.

As you may recall from my earlier posts the mover never once let us know
where he was, or exactly when to expect delivery; in fact the only way to
“reach” him was via email, which could have been received and replied to by
anyone.

The local moving team who made the final delivery to the college report that
things looked fine and that the staff pianists have been enjoying the piano,
but I have not yet heard from the local tech (who has never been quicksilver
anyway).

For what it is worth, law enforcement and insurance agents tell us that a
criminal act could not be assumed; and in any event since a contract was
active between us and the mover, this matter was one for the civil courts
and not law enforcement. In short we would have to bring suit against the
mover. At what point in time theft or misappropriation could be assumed
remains a mystery, although our insurance agent was about past her limit of
reasonableness on this point and wondered why the law couldn’t be tracking
this person down. Our insurance claim has been downgraded to a possible
damage issue, and this pending any report from the locals of any shipping or
mishandling harm or component deterioration due to carelessness. So the
chapter is coming to a close, but I don’t yet have the final pages.

Thanks so much to all who expressed concern in both public and private
communiqués. It was much appreciated!

And a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, or otherwise Happy Holidays to you
and yours!

Warm Regards,

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild