[pianotech] Calculating harmonics/ovrtones - Valotti scale

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Tue Dec 23 16:30:28 PST 2008

Julia -
Mathematical precision is impossible because of inharmonicity differing in
each piano. Theoretically you can calculate harmonics using the ratios, but
in fact none of them will match reality. And anyway, nothing past a tenth of
a cent will make a difference to the ear. Although I did once know a girl
who could reliably tell if you put one grain of sugar in her coffee.

With A=440, the theoretical frequencies of the Vallotti from C5 down to C3
are thus:
525.03
492.77
467.75
440.00
415.77
392.88
369.58
350.81
329.26
311.83
294.00
277.18
262.51
246.38
233.87
220.00
207.89
196.44
184.79
175.40
164.63
155.92
147.00
138.59
131.26

The Rollingball charts display the major triad, which is composed of M3, m3
and 5th.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Jason
jason's cell 425 830 1561
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonkanter