[pianotech] RPT exam?

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 18:12:14 PST 2008

Duaine writes:

<< Some of the higher range notes' unisons are hard to discern from the

note and "interference". Over the last year or so, to tune unisons, I

always have to pull it a little sharp and come back down. I can't seem

to hear it the other way. At least for me, this is way I'm trying to find a
work-around for the

aural part of the RPT exam.<<

       That is the way most of us tune, coming down from sharp.  This
shouldn't be a problem that will arise with the exam, since you don't tune, aurally,
above B4, (I think).  ETD's are allowed above that, so the upper end tuning
can be done with your machine. The coincident partials used in setting a
temperament are not that high.
    I also have fairly significant hearing loss at the high end, (30 db at 4K
 in one ear, 20 db in the other), thanks to years of dove and duck hunting ,
(not to mention building racing engines, 250,000 miles on a motorcycle, lots
of rock and roll, firecrackers, and generally anything that would explode).  I
have a hearing aid that I use when I voice, since my left ear, (muzzle side),
is down .  I still have no trouble hearing all that I need to hear, unaided,
in the temperament range.

>>Could something like this be worked in as an exception ? >>

     I don't know, I have never heard of an exception being made.  My
suggestion would be to develop your aural ability between C3 and B4 until you can
tune evenly progressing thirds, and then get an objective third party to give you
an opinion of how close you are. You might be surprised how attainable a
passing score is in that part of the exam and how simple it is to navigate the
rest of the scale.
regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>One site keeps you connected to all your
email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025)</HTML>