[pianotech] but will it split

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 13:41:53 PST 2008

At 09:12 -0800 24/12/08, Thomas Cole wrote:

>I see nothing wrong with a fine adjustment on dampers which are
>affixed to the top blocks with a rather crude method. I find that
>performers are getting more and more critical about damper
>performance including having all the notes of a chord stop
>simultaneously at a slow release of the pedal. Fine adjustment
>capability is critical to get to that Nth degree, IMHO.
>
>If it's getting a new back action, it doesn't take much to add this
>nice feature.

Well I'm sure that between 1870 and 1965, or whenever some makers
started adding these things, there were one or two fussy performers
who could be perfectly satisfied with the dampers regulated as they
were then and continue to be in most cases.  Provided the damper
wires are properly straightened and re-filed I find it possible to do
the work just as precisely as with all these new-fangled extras,
which frankly I detest. Grand damper work is slow and tiresome in any
case.  I've never met anybody who loves regulating grand dampers with
or without articulated damper drops and spoons and capstans and
whatever other gizmos.  If you fit capstans, then you have to fit
spoons too if you want to get everything perfect, and in the end
nothing is likely to be perfect.

I don't expect to change anyone's habits by these deprecating
comments, but I bet there are one or two lurkers on the list who
fully share my opinions!

Happy Christmas to all!

JD