[pianotech] Web based email

Andy Rudoff andy at rudoff.com
Fri Dec 26 15:40:52 PST 2008

I usually ignore off-topic pianotech posts but this one contains
misleading statements.  Please do not think that you can get "complete
privacy" in email by switching from a web-based client to a non-web
based client.  Email is typically sent in cleartext across many
Internet servers and routers, managed by all sorts of different people
and companies.  Any of those people can read your email whether you
download it or keep it on someone's server.  Worse than that, the
sender of an email (or anyone who owns a server that processes the
email) can change the content, including headers like the From line,
the Date line, etc. to say anything.  So you cannot trust that an
email comes from who it says it comes from.

If we all know this, if we all understand that email is insecure then
we can scrutinize what it sent to us and use it as we see fit.  But
please understand the only way to make email private is to use
encryption and the advice posted below is incorrect.

There are literally hundreds of forums and websites dedicated to
giving you correct information about email security -- pianotech is
for piano-related topics so I hope our subscribers won't try to use it
as a place to get advice on email!

-andy