[pianotech] Little Cloth "Mutes"

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 27 09:49:18 PST 2008

William Monroe wrote:
> Hi Ron(s),
>
> To revive this a bit, I'm curious, Ron N. how you decided upon location of
> your replacement for the duplex.  Did you just move it to the front of the
> webbing area of the plate, or were you trying to achieve a certain
> length of
> "duplex" segment?

Del wrote a Journal article some years back on his research
into what factors produced noisy front duplexes. It's
primarily a combination of length and bearing angle. I found
his information to be dead on in practice (thanks Del). So I
try to make the duplexes as short as I can practically get
them, and somewhere around 15°-20° counter bearing (enough,
but not creating rendering problems). The length is more
critical than the angle. I can usually get down to at most
30mm lengths, which is nice and quiet at these bearing angles.
The SD-10 terminator modification I posted a while back made
the "duplex" length about 10mm, which was also nice and quiet
at a much lower angle.
Ron N