[pianotech] Satisfied but persistent customer question

Anthony Smith tonythetuner at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:28:50 PST 2008

Hi Geoff,

I feel your pain!  I have experienced the same thing with a KG-6C.  I
applied some protec to the agraffes and capo and it helped the rendering
problem little.  However, it will dry eventually and will need to be
re-applied.  Just make sure the lube will not be able to "creep" back up
toward the tuning pins.  This may ease your tuning woes a bit.  Plus, with
this economy, you can almost bet that she will not be very receptive to
expensive re-stringing.  Being a respectful defender of your customer's
wallet is one way to keep them happy and not thinking that you are trying to
milk every penny you can from them.

Oh, also, this piano is in the main auditorium of a church so it gets used a
decent amount every week (not just for Sunday service, ie, recitals,
seminars, etc.)  I set up a tuning schedule of every 3 months.  I usually go
back for unison touch-up at 6 weeks depending on the humidity fluctuations.
I also charge a slightly higher rate because of difficulty and that it takes
longer to ensure a stable tuning.  They're happy because the piano stays in
tune, finally.  I'm happy because I get a little bit more money for a little
bit more effort.

Anthony Smith

Phoenix, AZ

 I have a customer with a 1982 Kawai KG-C6 grand. She's a musician. She has
ears. This piano is a nightmare to tune. Getting the strings to render
through the bearing points so that it is stable enough that I even feel
comfortable leaving requires far more pounding than I think any piano should
endure. -- Geoff