[pianotech] Satisfied but persistent customer question

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Dec 28 11:02:31 PST 2008

I agree that rendering problems will not be resolved by the DC.  However,
rendering problems and their contribution to instability are much more
pronounced when the piano is subject to larger pitch swings.  Poor rendering
doesn't mean that the piano can't achieve stability.  It does mean that it's
more difficult to tell when the piano achieves stability (as Ron mentioned).
By keeping the piano as close to constant pitch as possible you will have a
better chance of establishing some greater level of stability--no
guarantees.  I wouldn't necessarily try and sell a bill of goods with
promises that can't be made, rather, I would outline the overall problem,
various approaches from least cost (and least but possibly somewhat
effective) to higher cost (with greater chance of being effective) and help
them decide within the constraints of their budget now to proceed.  My guess
is that a full DC system will be needed to help with stability even if you
go the restringing route so starting there and seeing if there is
improvement will not be a waste should they decide (if it's financially
possible) to go the more complete route.  Explained in that way I think you
would obviate the risk of them feeling like you sold them something that was
unnecessary.  On the flip side, if you sell them a restringing job and then
decide that they need the DC system as well, they may feel that you sold
them a larger job when all they needed was the DC system.  Right or wrong,
you may have a more difficult time explaining that in a convincing manner.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com