[pianotech] Guidance on Pressure Ridges and Cracks

Lynn Hall lmha60 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 14:23:19 PST 2008

Dear PTG,

I inquired recently on pressure ridges and cracks with respect to piano
soundboards. I have received some very valuable information, but I would
like to investigate the differences between the two further and also be able
to understand the mechanics of both. I have found more information on the
internet about pressure ridges being caused from mistakes made by the
manufacturer during the dying process.

My specific question: Is there a book the PTG recommends that discusses
pressure ridges and cracks of piano soundboards?

I have Arthur Reblitzes book on servicing, tuning and rebuilding and Larry
Fine's book called the Piano Book and neither of them discuss the
information I am looking for.

Thank you for your time.

Lynn Michael Hall