[pianotech] Sustain

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 30 13:58:25 PST 2008

Porritt, David wrote:

> I’ve been in classes on voicing where people talk of hammers that
> enhance sustain, or show how to voice the hammer to enhance sustain.
> They’ll do their thing to the hammer and proclaim that the sustain is
> longer and the whole class nods in agreement.  I’ve never been sure if
> this is a real, or a psycho-acoustic phenomena.  Has this every been
> actually measured with lab equipment?  I haven’t figured out the physics
> of this.  What can the hammer do – however it is made or voiced – to
> keep the energy in the string and lengthen the sustain?  I understand
> that we can change the prominence and number of the partials by voicing
> or by changing hammers, but can we actually make the string vibrate longer?
>
> dave

I ran into a wonderful example of this earlier this year. A
Petrof vertical, owner complaining that the sustain had
dropped way off in the last year. I played around with it for
a while, and found what I thought was the problem. Did some
voicing in a small area and had him critique it. "That's it!
What did you do?" I showed him a section I hadn't voiced and
we compared. The tonal envelope in the "short sustain" section
had a sharp short attack spike, with the dwell and decay
considerably quieter. The impression, even though the total
duration was similar, was that the sustain was short. What
worked best on this piano was side needling high shoulders. I
had him listen while I worked a hammer and he could hear the
attack peak lessen, and extend further into the tonal
envelope, blend more smoothly with the dwell and decay. The
impression was a longer sustain, but it was just a
redistribution of the power curve. This is, I think, a lot of
why hard hammers in capo sections of grands often seem to kill
sustain, where a little voicing will help.

That's my story.
Ron N