[pianotech] permanent marker on keytops

richard.ucci at att.net richard.ucci at att.net
Wed Dec 31 05:36:59 PST 2008

Can you share the name of said buffing compound?
-------------- Original message from RONALD SHIFLET <rlshiflet at msn.com>: --------------

I'm finishing up an overhaul on an old upright. The keytops have had some kind of a permanent marker ran across them.

I bought a bottle of dry erase remover. We scrubbed the keys with this. It removed most of the colors except blue. I suspect the 'other colors' were dry and wet erase markers. The blue was probably permanent.

We scrubbed the keys with the remover. It diminished the blue marks substantially, but did not completely remove them. It also had a side effect...dull key tops. Any shine was now gone.

We then went to the hardware store and bought a cheap buffing wheel and arbor that fits into a drill. They also had several buffing compounds available. What surprised us was a buffing compound specifically for plastic. We bought it.

The plastic buffing compound removed what little marks were left and left the keytops shiny again. A perfect job.

Neither the solvent, nor the buffing would totally remove all of the marks by themselves. When used together, they removed all marks.

Regards

Ron