Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 1 08:03:44 MST 2008

Hi Greg.

Yeah... but the use of the word <<better>> which I agreed on with you
btw, works both ways...  Whats inherently better about a soundboard
having a bit <<more life>> (as in the Petrof example you cite) then it
is 35 years down the road with a sound that is a little mellowed but
still beautiful in its own right ? "Better" in both cases is strictly in
the realm of personal preference.  And I'll grant right off that a lot
of folks will associate <<more life>> with <<better>>.  Thats their
right... especially if they be consistent about it ... i.e. pass your
basic blind tests.  Same goes in reverse tho too..  some folks associate
<<a bit aged>> with <<better>> and thats their right as well... with the
same qualifier attached.

Still... by and large I think I agree far more with you then not on the
matter.  That said... piano sounds of all sorts fascinates me.  Its a
bit wide world out there to be sure.

Cheers
RicB

    Well, OK, but here we go again. The thing I responded to in Thumps
    post was
    the use of the word better. You yourself stipulate here that it
    admittedly
    had more life at some point. This then means that it is not better
    which was
    the entirety of my point. Thank you.

    Greg Newell
    Greg's Piano Forté