Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 08:30:56 MST 2008

The problem of determining the extent of damage to the panel goes beyond
what is visible in the form of pressure ridges and may be much more
extensive than what you can see.  The issue is whether the extent of the
damage compromises the panel's ability to achieve the requisite stiffness to
vibrate at certain frequencies, mostly high.  Since the cost of replacing
the panel is negligible when you factor in the labor costs of removing the
panel in one piece undamaged, removing the ribs (you would be smart to
convert this to a rib crowned assembly), repairing the obvious areas of
damage to the panel, it just doesn't make sense to me to not replace the
panel--especially when you can't be sure of the outcome.  Unless you are
clinging to the romantic notion of old wood being better, I see no reason to
go this route and I don't see evidence of old wood being better.  If you are
hoping for performance which is just adequate or slightly compromised, then
it just doesn't make sense.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com