Stiffness and/or mass in the treble

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Feb 1 16:35:26 MST 2008

Point taken J.D.

I think to rephrase.... the question Thumpy is asking is about the mass
to stiffness ratio in the bass versus the treble.   I've also understood
such that in the bass you want more mass for stiffness, and in the
treble less mass for stiffness.  Indeed... Ron N stated not just a few
weeks ago he opts for a very stiff treble... so as to be able to mass
load it appropriately.

Interesting side point... The following post which bears directly on the
question at hand... never got an answer. That is to say I was the only
one who attempted an answer. But the questions raised... generated no
real discussion. Too bad.

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2005-December/182521.html

             >>According to Del (and I believe it) high mass and high
            flexibility is
             >>desired for treble. High stiffness and low mass is
            desired for bass. Low
             >>bass frequencies require a very rigid moving panel. If
            the panel is not
             >>rigid it absorbs all the energy before pumping out the
            fundamental
             >>frequency.

                 >Er... I believe you have it backwards Dean.

        Perhaps you'd all like to listen to 3 snippets containing a fair
        amount of treble from a small grand piano:

        I can tell you that the soundboard in the treble is extremely stiff
        and extremely light.

        JD