Stiffness and/or mass in the treble

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 14:51:47 MST 2008

At 20:36 +0100 1/2/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>At 13:03 -0500 1/2/08, Greg Newell wrote:
>
>>...Stiffness is desired in the high treble but what about the bass
>>where flexibility seems to rule?
>
>At 13:49 -0500 1/2/08, Dean May wrote:
>
>>According to Del (and I believe it) high mass and high flexibility is
>>desired for treble. High stiffness and low mass is desired for bass. Low
>>bass frequencies require a very rigid moving panel. If the panel is not
>>rigid it absorbs all the energy before pumping out the fundamental
>>frequency.

>Er... I believe you have it backwards Dean.

Perhaps you'd all like to listen to 3 snippets containing a fair
amount of treble from a small grand piano:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/samples/threesamples.m4a>

Provided  you have QuickTime, this file should play immediately, at
least it does in Firefox and Safari.  You can also download it and
play it in iTunes.

I can tell you that the soundboard in the treble is extremely stiff
and extremely light.

JD