Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Sat Feb 2 07:02:15 MST 2008

    I have been following this exchange about soundboards very intently, as
one who wants to start building them.  Which brings me to a question.  I was
tuning a Yamaha GA-1 grand the other day, which is famous for having a
terrible bass-tenor break.   I made a comment to Del at one time about how I
thought that the board in these small grands was maybe too flexible at the
lower end, as they go out of tune so much there with humidity changes, and
he said to me that most people complain that the board is too stiff there,
on these pianos.  I seem to remember a while back that David Love (I could
be wrong) posted something about adding mass to the tenor end of the long
bridge on an M, and how that made the tone so much better.  I am no
scientist, but I wonder, as I bet many others do about this stiffness and
mass question.  More stiff, less stiff, more or less mass, the effects of
these, and how does one "design" these into a board one is contemplating
building?  How do they interact?  What effects do these have on tuning
stability, tone, etc.
    I hope I haven't attributed past posts to the wrong people,  just
questioning how this all fits together.  Recommended reading, just
experience, or what?  Does adding weight to the bottom of the bridge just
add mass, or somehow decrease in increase stiffness,  I'm so confused.
Clark A. Sprague, RPT