Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Feb 2 18:29:04 MST 2008

Thanks, Ron, for bearing with us. Your post is perhaps one of the most
succinct and easy to understand descriptions of what is going on that I've
seen. Please keep stoking.

>>The bass works well when the assembly is light
>>and flexible down there. The purpose of floating the bass in
>>small grands, and moving the bridge to increase back scale
>>length, is to add flexibility and amplitude of movement.

If I consider a woofer speaker, it is designed to be very rigid/stiff to
produce a large area pressure pulse without deflecting/deforming the cone,
otherwise the pressure pulse would disintegrate. The cone is also very low
mass so that it can accelerate quickly back and forth with large amplitudes.
It is very flexible around the edges but not the cone.

This is what I would like to see a little clarification on. You and others
speak of the need for increased flexibility in the bass section. When you
say you need increased flexibility in the bass for amplitude of movement,
aren't you really saying you need the flexibility around the edges, or even
a floated edge? The panel itself needs to remain rigid or stiff, but for it
to move it has to be able to give around the perimeter.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802