Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Feb 2 22:33:28 MST 2008

I don't get it, Ron. Are we just not communicating? What is it I need to
give up? I think we both are agreeing the perimeter needs to be flexible and
you yourself stated that the main part of the panel will be inherently
rigid. You even agree that the cone on a subwoofer must be stiff/rigid.

Everything I mentioned is not to make the panel more flexible, but to make
the edge more flexible. As you yourself acknowledged in the subwoofer
analogy, the cone (main part of the panel) must be stiff and rigid. The
subwoofer perimeter (area of the panel near the rim) must be very flexible
to allow for gross movement of the cone (main part of panel).

>>Give it up. The bass needs flexibility.

What is it I need to give up? I've repeatedly stated that the bass needs
flexibility around the perimeter. You even sort of stated that yourself. By
simply stating the bass needs flexibility as you do above it muddies the
water. Flexibility where? Surely you are not stating that the bass needs
flexibility in the center of the panel. I think we both are agreeing the
perimeter needs to be flexible and you yourself stated that the main part of
the panel will be inherently rigid. You even agree that the cone on a
subwoofer must be stiff/rigid. So I'm not sure where we are disagreeing
exactly, but this response sure makes it seem like we are just about
everywhere. Which really confuses me as I thought I was just starting to get
a handle on it.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272