Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 3 07:33:41 MST 2008

> What is it I need to give up? I've repeatedly stated that the bass needs
> flexibility around the perimeter. You even sort of stated that yourself. By
> simply stating the bass needs flexibility as you do above it muddies the
> water. Flexibility where?

I didn't, and don't, intend to present a lengthy treatise by
e-mail on every detail of soundboard construction. You began
this by saying the bass needed to be stiff and the treble
flexible, which is backward. The bass needs the most
flexibility in the system. You can make the bass more flexible
by thinning the panel, floating the tail, and using lighter
ribbing. That's as clear as I can make it. Throwing in a
thousand details will do no one any good until the most basic
concepts are understood and accepted as a starting point.

Give what up? The attempt to find something in the vicinity of
the bass bridge that is stiff to support your initial
statement that the bass needs to be stiff. What it needs is
relative flexibility and higher amplitude movement than the
rest of the scale.

Ron N