Compression ridges was :Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 3 03:26:22 MST 2008

Hi Dean.

I would think you are right in thinking you two are kind of talking past
each other.  I would advise from personal experience to not press
through trying to get things straight.... because this seems to just
cause increased miscommunication.  And in the end unnecessary harsh
words can be thrown out in irritation or frustration... depending on
which side of the discussion you are on. Leave it and think it over,
then come back at it later.

Of course the panel needs to be a minimum degree of stiff everywhere.
That said... the opposite can be said as well.... i.e. it can be too
stiff.  The same can be said about the amount of mass in any given area
of the piano. The key issue is --- what ratio of one to the other is
needed in each place.  But you WERE correct in understanding from Del's
class that in the bass stiffness is the critical moment and in the
treble mass levels  the critical moment. But that is not the same as
saying you need more stiffness and less mass in the bass (and the
opposite in the treble).  It just means that once minimum levels of each
are established, manipulating mass in the treble gives you more bang for
your buck, and manipulating stiffness in the bass gives more bang for
the buck down there.

Cheers
RicB

        I don't get it, Ron. Are we just not communicating? What is it I
        need to
        give up? I think we both are agreeing the perimeter needs to be
        flexible and
        you yourself stated that the main part of the panel will be
        inherently
        rigid. You even agree that the cone on a subwoofer must be
        stiff/rigid.

        Dean