Free Chickering quarter grand

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Feb 4 14:09:25 MST 2008

At 12:19 -0600 4/2/08, Annie Grieshop wrote:

>While we're on the subject:  does anybody know why Chickering called them
>Quarter Grands?  My understanding is that the term included their grands in
>the 5'2"-5'6" range, but why were they "quarter"?

French influence, I guess.  The French use the terms

trois quarts de queue
demi-queue
quart de queue

and

crapaud for anything smaller, crapaud meaning toad -- a wonderfully apt name.

Broadwood, I think, was responsible for the English "Boudoir Grand",
which people here use to mean a piano of practically any length, just
as I often hear of "baby grands" that are over 6 ft. long!

JD