Andre's Front Punchings vs Schimmels

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Feb 5 02:09:39 MST 2008

Hi Jon.

Same here.  I found the crescendo punchings too noisy for older Bechstein
pianos.  Absolutely great for an older Steinway A.
Here like in many other places, some (stiffness, precision, volume, bass,
whatever) is good, but too much is offending.  I suppose that the whole
structure of the piano responds to the shock of the key hitting the punching
in a way that can be musically desirable in some pianos, but offending in
other (less firm, less loud) pianos.  I suspect it is mainly a question of
balance between the thump and the body of the note.  Also, a louder thump
will subjectively increase the "hard landing" feeling of the finger in the
bottom of the dip, and so will the more rigid action frame.  Maybe also a
more responsive soundboard is able to transform that heavy thump into nice
singing overtones and after ring who will improve the sound of the
instrument.  On the Bechstein, it makes the sound harsh and dry, and like
you want to voice the hammers down again.
I for now do try many arrangements, see what works best.  I found that some
older Pleyel pianos really ask for a very thin soft felt punching covered by
a woven fabric circle (sorry for my approximate English) to avoid premature
wear.  This is what goes with their (too) flexible keys and (too) thin
action frame.
It is about fine tuning all the vibrations.  And probably would I tune those
differently in a large reverberating hall, who will definitely transform the
(otherwise too loud) thump into a nice expressive creative feature, useful
to articulate the musical phrases (foreseen that the player is connected
with the reverberation return).

Just my thoughts about this.

Stéphane Collin.