Andre's Front Punchings vs Schimmels

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 05:49:21 MST 2008

>This non-"voicing" voicing is quite intriguing...

In KC I did a test with a small group of techs. Using samples
from Jurgen, we compared the original punching to Crescendo
straight-sided and conical-cut punchings.

The consensus was that the straight cut produced a slightly better
tone than the original and the conical cut punching was better than that.
However when we turned the conical punching over (narrow side on bottom)
the tone diminished.

So the orientation of the conical punching is critical.  Which was why on those
Asian uprights, I could notice a difference playing chromatically. A
simple fix :-)
However, conical punchings are not suitable for all verticals either.

On a 3 y/o S&S S which needed the key travel to be increased I recommended
the Crescendo punchings and made a test on C4.  The piano owner was surprised
how much the tone focused when the new punching was installed, "That wavering
went away", she said.  The action felt better too with a more
positive landing to the key.

All in a day's work in super-hero-land.

Regards,

Jon Page