Regulating Without Specs

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Tue Feb 5 08:00:09 MST 2008

As a recovering mathematics teacher, I'm always interested in this topic. People resist metrics mightily because they think they will have to spend the rest of their lives remember complicated conversion tables, etc.  Sigh.

The ONLY way to drag the USA, kicking and screaming, into sync with the rest of the universe would be to (a) Require schools, starting in kindergarten, to teach NOTHING BUT metrics. If the parents want to confuse them at home, that's their business. (b) Offer courses for out-of-school people, make them simple, make them fun. (c) Change--within a VERY short period--all highway signs, markers, maps, and speedometers to have ONLY metric measurements (not dual, ONLY metric) and, most important, (d) Require that all construction and manufacturing, rulers and tape measures, other tools, all specifications be NOTHING BUT metrics.

We've tried educating people first so we could make the change. Didn't work. The change would have to be forced and enforced and done virtually overnight.

The full and complete change would probably take about 3 years, and the school kids would lead the way in asking the parents why they still hang on to the dumb old systems.

Having said that, these measures would be heavy-handed government intervention, to say the least. People (probably including me) would fight them for that reason and also because of the anxiety of relearning, sense of lost tradition, and flat-out cussedness of not liking to be told what to do.

Therefore, though science and much of industry has seen the light, the rest of us are likely to be stuck with hectares and furlongs for a very, very long time.

Kinda sad. Black market yardstick, anyone?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO