Regulating Without Specs

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Feb 5 08:45:55 MST 2008

Very exceedingly well stated, Alan!!

One addendum... instead of directly and "accurately" converting 65mph
or 70mph speed limits to their precise metric equivalents (as was done
with the dual-measurement signs, e.g. 65mph/104.6kph or
70mph/112.65kph.) 65mph should become 100kph or 105kph, depending on
safety considerations.

I think that the ridiculous sense of equivalency is a big part of what
ruined the changeover last time.

When my kids started learning measurements a few years ago, I groaned
when I saw inches/feet/miles/ounces/gallons/etc. Having to know
12"/ft, 3'/yard, 5280'/mile, like, how ludicrous is THAT??

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN