Remembering Steinway grand sizes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 10:41:09 MST 2008

At 07:16 -0500 5/2/08, AlliedPianoCraft wrote:

>There are 2 separate designations systems. S - M - LÊ= Small, Medium
>and Large. Then there is the A - B - C and D size progression. Then
>there is the "O"! I couldn't for the life of me figure that one out.

At the end of the century, before the style letters were introduced,
the smallest grand was the 6ft Model 0 (nought) and then there were
the 1 and 2.  The style nought was replaced by the 5'10" 'O'
Miniature and the 6'2" 'A', which had the same bass scale as the
style nought.  My guess is that the 0 was changed into 'O' for the
new smallest grand.  A good style nought is a terrific piano.

JD