Andre's Front Punchings vs Schimmels

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:08:49 MST 2008

Your mileage may vary.

In a blind test (not double-blind) I put Crescendo punchings on a concert D
at my university.The pianists didn't know what I had done, or indeed that I
had done anything -- but they didn't like it.

I left the Crescendos on for several months. I finally removed them, because
there was general dissatisfaction with the piano. With the original
punchings restored, again without telling anyone that I had done anything,
there were many compliments about how the touch improved. I thought that one
of the functions of the key punchings was to cushion the blows to pianists'
fingers, and that without sufficient cushioning, playing will be
uncomfortable. I don't think Crescendo punchings provide sufficient
cushioning; I suspect that they can make playing uncomfortable for the
pianist.

I don't use Crescendo punchings. Sorry.

Kent Swafford