Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Feb 6 08:10:20 MST 2008

Hi Patrick and thanks for the good advice.

This is turning out to be an interesting piano really.  The scale looks
to be that of an L.  Tho I got a note from Hartwig Kalb that the serial
number matches an O produced in Hamburg in 1910. Still no doubt about
the scale measurements... they match the L given in the Steinway Service
Manual by Max Matthias to a tee.

I will be allowing Heller bass freedom to alter the scale if they feel
its wise, but I want to feed them with the proper original dimensions
and lengths, along with the lengths I measure at the instrument.   The
set that is on there now is really weird and produces all sorts of
...er.. interesting sounds.  So I am not going to bother sending them
the existing diameters.  I can post them here if anyone wants to check
them out.

The instrument was called only a Miniature... and evidently was the
direct predecessor of both the M, O and L.  I'll post a bit more on this
friday evening.

Cheers
RicB

        Ric,While I can understand some reluctance to "rescale" this
        Steinway (i.e.
        depart from the original bass scale), I think it would be very
        wise to
        provide Hellerbass with precise measurements of the bass' string
        lengths.
        If, for example, they were still "playing around" with the bass
        scale of
        this model at that time you could (or might possibly) get into some
        unintended results by copying a "similar" bass scale.
        Patrick Draine