Two felts better than one? / was: Andre's Front Punchings

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Feb 7 00:43:13 MST 2008

To some degree yes. It rather has to. On some pianos these pressed felt
punchings result in to much noise, and as Kent pointed out sometimes
pianists simply want a softer feel.  I start with just the Wurzen
conicals, and if its just plain too noisy  I put in a 1 mm Kashmir
underneath.  The result is still quite a bit more firm then most, ilf
not all, cloth punchings alone. Some of the green punchings available
are downright mushy really.

Cheers
RicB

    BTW why would putting a thin cloth punching under the conical, firm
    punchings at the key front not defeat the purpose of having a firm
    landing
    bed for the key which the Wurzen conical punchings provide on their own?

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com