Speaking of Steinway grand sizes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 14:32:02 MST 2008

At 20:06 +0100 7/2/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>I would be interested to know how you figure the real end diameter
>for a given wire and a given wrap size.

The final minor diameter of the copper will be about 90% of the
original diameter if the proper tension is applied by the
string-maker.  Beginners tend not to pull hard enough and the final
diameters they achieve in training, as well as evenness of diameter,
are a good guide to what they need to put right before they can be
productive.

I've checked my printed scales and can't find a Steinway L after all.
I don't think Hamburg ever made the L and we see very few of the
American models here.  If yours is called "miniature" then it's
almost certainly an 'O'.  You'll probably find some soundboard
compression by the apron of the bass bridge.

As to the bass scale(s) the same rules would apply.

JD