37 steps---delayed response

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 7 20:45:55 MST 2008

At 05:29 PM 2/7/2008, Barbara Richmond wrote:

>What is the clearer and less potentially misleading conceptual framework?
>
>Barbara Richmond

Well, "Circles of Refinement" is a definite improvement - it more
accurately indicates what is actually going on. But my own approach
is based on the idea that what we call "Regulation" consists of
several discreet stages that are quite different from each other,
each requiring different approaches and emphases. The first stage
consists of aligning the action to the piano - can you think of where
the action interfaces with the piano and what points of regulation
this stage entails? Once you have that, there is internal alignment
of the action parts. Not much discretion here. Then - if the action
is way out of regulation (as after being rebuilt or after decades of
hard use and neglect) it needs to be roughed in - same idea as a
pitch raise in tuning. Here the chief consideration is speed - not
accuracy - and being able to eyeball plausible approximations of
"specs" is a very useful skill. Now you have a basis on which to
establish the basic relationships within the wippen (in the grand)
and between keydip and strike distance to arrive at the regulation
specs for this action and refine the regulation through that circular
process that we keep talking about. At this stage there is lots of
discretion as to what functions you will favor at the expense of what
other functions. And once you have achieved what you wish here, you
can deal with what I call peripherals - dampers, pedals, etc. The
order of steps within each stage is determined empirically - and not
assigned any cumulative number (like "37") or ordinal value (like
"first, second") since in practice it will vary depending on
circumstances and preferences.

Might look abstruse in print (it's a quick synopsis aimed at
experienced pros - I put it quite differently for students) - but
with an action or an action model in front of them students grasp the
relationships between regulation points / functions and basic
concepts of regulation a lot faster when viewing them within discreet
and self-contained segments of the process rather than as part of a
long sequence of "steps". I have been using this conceptual framework
for 5 years now, in the context of PTG Convention classes and chapter
presentations - and it works. I believe that it is a more easily
manageable perspective for the student who has trouble understanding
how the functions and regulation points relate to each other - and I
have plenty feedback from classes and post-exam conversations to support this.

Israel Stein