how to remove upright pedals

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Fri Feb 8 01:28:55 MST 2008

    Yes, if you have a piano tipping dolly, you can tip the piano on its back and remove the bottom board along with all the pedals and trapwork.
    On some pianos, depending on how the pedals are arranged and mounted, pedals can be removed by unscrewing the pedal mount, holding the pedal against another mount, and tapping out the pivot pin (if it's loose enough).
    Or you can use a  C-clamp that has a hole drilled through the end of the clamp that doesn't have the clamping screw.  If you can un-mount the pedal first, it's easier to turn the clamp's screw and push the pin out of the pedal and through the end of the clamp that has the hole.  If you can't unmount the pedal, then you have to turn the clamp's screw a half-turn at a time, pushing the clamp's leverage pin through the screw after each half-turn.  It's a hassle, but can be done.
    --David Nereson, RPT