Loose Ribs

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 21:38:04 MST 2008

Hi, all.  I was trying to tune a Shoninger spinet tonight (what a horrible
thing), and when I got to C#5, and to a lesser extent, D5, I heard the
weirdest sounds.  I knew that the thing had loose ribs, and they were
buzzing most of the way up the piano, but at that point, they began to buzz
"harmonically".  I have never heard this before.
    I have attached a recording made on my Dell pocket PC, on which I run
Tunelab.  It is a .wav file, and can be opened with Windows Media Player.  I
turned the volume up, and it comes through clearly.  And it is different the
second time I hit C#, from the first time.
    Anyone heard this kind of vibe coming from loose ribs before?
Clark A. Sprague, RPT