37 steps---delayed response

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Feb 8 06:12:32 MST 2008

Which is, I believe, the point of those defending the "37 steps."  As a LRSH graduate, I too feel that the 37 steps was a very valid, intriguing approach to regulation.  The underlying premise and approach to regulation is in most ways no different than Israel's approach.  It DOES rely on "students" having the ability to see and understand the processes, and not get hung up on a recipe.  It really wasn't that much of a stretch for me or many others.

I've no doubt there were others who had difficulty conceptualizing the process as a whole, and for them, Israel's approach would probably prove more easily understandable.  I'm sure I'd get something out of it too.  I think we all can learn from each other, if we will have it, regardless of our respective levels of experience.

Bottom line for me is there are many ways to do nearly every task in piano technology and the "37 steps" is no less reasonable and viable than others, just different.  And yes, if we had to choose one approach to educating the piano tech masses on regulation, I might give the nod to Israels methods - I'll tell you after I take the class.  ;-]

William R. Monroe

  I believe we aren't that far apart in our approach to regulation Israel. I'm certain I could and would learn much from you should I be fortunate enough to take one of your classes and I will when the opportunity presents itself.

  I don't mean to dissuade anyone from the 37 steps if it works for them but having read Israel's writing on the CAUT list regarding the various ways that various people learn the same thing if it's presented in differing ways, I felt it was only right to point out that there were other, very usable, viable methods.

  Mike