Standing Room Only

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Feb 8 14:31:09 MST 2008

Went today to a new client. Recently moved house, wanted piano tuned.  Nice
1930s Danemann upright.

There was no piano stool, so I asked for a kitchen chair or stool to sit on.
They had none! The seat inserts were all away to be re-upholstered and all
they had was chair frames with no seats.  The woman was going to lay a
framed (with glass) print across one of the chair frames for me to sit on.
The neighbours were out, so she couldn't borrow a chair.

I ended up tuning the piano standing up, but it wasn't comfortable for me.
I'm 6'1" (182.5 cm, bearing in mind recent metric discussions!)

Maybe its a good idea to carry a little folding picnic stool in the car in
future! How prepared does one have to be? Last week I bought a small but
powerful vacuum cleaner half-price in the supermarket for piano work, having
recently wasted about half an hour trying to get a customer's vacuum cleaner
to work with the nozzle attachment , when I was cleaning out the keybed
along with some other work. I congratulated myself on remembering to take it
today just in case needed for new customer.  A chair would've been better.

Do you ever get the feeling with a customer that they live in a universe
slightly out of phase with yours?  Today's was one of those.  I dunno, just
somehow "we're not communicatin' here".

David.