OK next question: Tugging on ham. rail chek lost motion

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 22:39:00 MST 2008

 Julia:

If the hammer rail is totally immobilized, then yes, you can quickly check key by key by lightly tapping the keys and looking for a "wink" of the whippen structure (I generally watch the backchecks) without a corresponding wink of the hammer.You have to broaden or generalize your gaze to see the general structures and note the movement. Out of curiosity, with an immobile hammer rest rail, how is blow distance regulated? What's the nature of the soft-pedal mechanism? Can you send a picture? Are you sure there isn't a "secondary" rail aft of the main one?

Paul