OK next question: Tugging on ham. rail chek lost motion

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Sun Feb 10 14:45:26 MST 2008

You're not really checking lost motion, but, as you said in your first post, the lack thereof.  You can depress the damper pedal (so the returning wippens don't have any assist from damper lever springs), then depress ten keys at a time and let them up very slowly, looking to see if any jacks don't snap all the way under their hammer butts.  If they don't, turn the capstan down by quarter turns until the jack returns all the way when the key is let up slowly.  Otherwise, the visual "backcheck wink" method is as good as any -- very lightly tap on the keys and see if the backcheck just "winks" before the butt moves (watch the catcher).  Or, as someone else suggested, press on the tail end of the keys, mashing them into the back rail felt a little, and see if any hammers wink backwards.  If so, the jacks are holding them up off the rail a little.
    --David Nereson, RPT