Soundboard repair question

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 10 09:53:16 MST 2008

I dont believe anything one uses to fill a soundboard crack will affect
soundboard response perse.  If the cracks have also loosened one or both
edges from the ribs... then a given repair can have an effect and serve
to stablize the situation.  But cracks in themselves are acoustically
rather insignificant.  At least as far as anyone has been able to
determine up to now.

Cheers
RicB

    Does epoxy repair change the soundboard response, then, or does it
    simply
    stabilize the board and ribs?  Forgive me if I'm asking questions that I
    should already know the answer to, but I don't know.  (I have lots of
    hypotheses built around what I've read and observed, but there are
    some big
    cracks in those, I'm sure. <g>)

    Thanks.

    Annie G.