Meet the "Lookerson's"

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Feb 10 09:56:10 MST 2008

Good thoughts, David,

How have you all handled the retirement homes?  I get little old ladys
trying to hum along with notes being tuned, or standing over me for some
time and then ask "What are you doing" or across the room to their deaf
friends saying" I don't know what he's playing, but I wish he'd
stop!"(That one always makes me quietly chuckle :>))

PW

"David Boyce" <David at piano.plus.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
02/10/2008 10:45 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Meet the "Lookerson's"

I don't mind having an audience, particularly if they take an interest. I
think it would be a bit un-nerving if the whole family sat silently and
watched, though. I would defintely try and engage them in some way.

The variety of responses shown by children is interesting. I love it when
they show an interest.  I find it weird when, as sometimes happens,
they're
in the room but completely ignore me.  I always try and address a remark
or
two, to see what happens.  One little boy and girl in a house recently,
answered in monosyllables and returned to their silent play with their
toys.
Strange.

In the case of a small child who comes up to the piano and starts thumping

keys while I am trying to tune, I fold my hands in my lap and if they're
old
enough for language, say "Well now, I can't do my thing until you're
finished, so I'll just wait".  It's not up to me to tell them what to do
in
their own house. Hopefully the parent gets the message that the piano
isn't
getting tuned, and intervenes!

Best,

David.