Meet the Lookerson's

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Feb 10 12:40:50 MST 2008

I went to a care home some years ago to tune a little grand they had, and
one of the elderly ladies with Alzheimers decided after about ten minutes
that I had been there long enough.  As if to a butler or maid she said
imperiously "Tell him he can go now, that's enough of that."

She wasn't at all pleased when she realised I wasn't going to just pack up
and leave, and grumbled the whole time "That's awful. That noise would give
you a sour stomach!".  One of the care asistants tried to jolly her along by
telling her "People come for miles to hear that man, you know!".

Still, it could be worse.  Years ago a friend of mine did hairdressing in a
local hospital unit for people with early onset Alzheimers and other
psychiatric problems, and he recalls a lady chasing him round the table
saying "Call me darling or I'll bash your face!"......

Best,

David.

"How have you all handled the retirement homes?  I get little old ladys
trying to hum along with notes being tuned, or standing over me for some
time and then ask "What are you doing" or across the room to their deaf
friends saying" I don't know what he's playing, but I wish he'd stop!"(That
one always makes me quietly chuckle :>)) "