Soundboard stiffness variances

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Feb 10 15:50:41 MST 2008

Hi Jude.

I'm back at the drawing board as well... which is really why I threw out
that post.  I have my own new project going and I don't expect I'll get
much help from the RC&S gang.... at least not much more then they've
already posted through the years.  I wouldn't really expect any of them
to be interested in trying to find out how to pre-dict the strength and
stiffness of a compression reliant system as reliably as they feel they
can an RS&C system. They are more likely to wish the life of compression
reliant systems me thinks... fair enough really.  To each their own as
it were.

As for me tho... I'd like to think there was more to the world of
soundboards then just a set of ribs, and a panel that sits on it rather
passively no matter what you do to it.... that the world of soundboard
construction allows for more possibilities then that one approach allows
for.  Perhaps I am wrong.  So experimentation is of course in order...
and its going on all over the place really... tho you only hear of a
small portion of it here on pianotech.

The RC&S camp has showed a very straightforward and quite evidently
workable way of being able to pre-calculate with pretty fair
exactingness the strengths characteristics in an RC&S soundboard
assembly.  It appears to me that CR systems have been arrived at largely
empirically and that our understanding of just how these soundboard
systems generate their strengths is not nearly so well understood at
all.  I've yet to run into a solid answer from either camp as to how one
can pre-calculate accurately the strengths characteristics of a CR
system.  Being able to do this seems a pretty tangible direction to
go... among other directions one could take.  So ... if its a premise
you need.... I'm working on the premise that it should be equally
possible to pre-calculate CR system strengths as it is RC&S strengths.
And if that be true... then we remove entirely from the discussion all
issues surrounding the comparative predictability of each type of system.

I'm sure your Mason project will yield a lot of increased insights for
you. The road goes ever ever on as it were.

There is always room for talk... discussion... whilst we carry on each
with our own projects.  Jogs the mind and helps us on our way.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,

    I'm still here and still interested. For my part, I ran out of
    things to
    talk about so I'm back to the drawing board. I get to a point where
    I can
    only learn by getting my hands on some work and hearing the results.
    To that
    end, Ron N. and Terry are helping me out with a Mason A6 RC&S
    design. I'm
    hoping this experience raises as many questions as it answers; keeps
    life
    interesting.

    Perhaps we should be talking about what controlled experiments we
    could be
    conducting  to prove, disprove or answer any questions we have.
    While we
    need to start with a premise, talk only goes so far, wouldn't you agree?

    Best,

    Jude Reveley, RPT
    Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
    Lowell, Massachusetts