37 steps---delayed response

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sun Feb 10 20:14:42 MST 2008

Israel,

Here we are in complete agreement.  Well said.  I am absolutely nothing if not technician who LOVES to watch other technicians methods/work.  Always something to be learned.  Always.

Best,
William R. Monroe

SNIP
I am not going to bother to go through the rest of your message point by point - because much of what you say is true - sometimes. And sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way. And there is no point arguing about it - because all we are talking about is just alternative perspectives which may or may not be useful for different people.

I was asked about what I felt was a better conceptual system - and so I shared it. It happens to work quite well with people who have not done well with the type of conceptualization embodied in the Yamaha 37 steps (with which I am quite familiar - and yes I have been to LaRoy's classes).  I have never denied its value - I just feel that some people do not get all that is being taught for reasons that I have stated and I have devised a way to make explicit what is implicit in the Yamaha system. And - guess what - some people have used it to become skilled and competent technicians. So whoever said that "whoever can't figure out what the Yamaha way really means probably is never going to be a skilled technician" (or something to that effect - I am not going to dig through all these digests again to find it) is all wet. Sometimes a change of perspective can do wonders to someone's understanding.

So all you Yamaha-37 fans - if it works, use it. And if it doesn't work for someone - there are other ways.

Israel Stein