37 steps---delayed response

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 10 00:25:11 MST 2008

At 06:13 PM 2/8/2008, William Monroe wrote:
>Israel,
>
>I just have to chime in here.  Comments interspersed.
>

> > Actually, David, wrong on all counts. No handouts, no sheets, no
> > lists in my classes. They learn by doing - you get an action model
> > and you learn how to regulate by regulating. I give them a short
> > verbal introduction  What typically happens is that I explain to them
> > the various stages - and most everyone (except for the rawest
> > beginners - the class is not aimed at them)  can right away tell me
> > themselves what functions are dealt with in each stage. It's just
> > logic - don't need a list.
>
>If it is "just logic," I fail to see how an outline or "list" can be
>an impediment for all but those same "rawest beginners."

Often it is. One of the more effective learning processes is
"discovery". Following a list often channels one's mind into just
doing things by rote without thinking it through. I've had people
thank me for  making them work without a list - because the other way
they just weren't getting it,  they were just following things step
by step and not getting much out of it. But "discovering" something
on their own (perhaps with some prompting) somehow "turns on the
light". Like some people posted here before - there are different
ways to learn. What works for one, doesn't work for the other.

I am not going to bother to go through the rest of your message point
by point - because much of what you say is true - sometimes. And
sometimes it doesn't quite work out that way. And there is no point
arguing about it - because all we are talking about is just
alternative perspectives which may or may not be useful for different people.

I was asked about what I felt was a better conceptual system - and so
I shared it. It happens to work quite well with people who have not
done well with the type of conceptualization embodied in the Yamaha
37 steps (with which I am quite familiar - and yes I have been to
LaRoy's classes).  I have never denied its value - I just feel that
some people do not get all that is being taught for reasons that I
have stated and I have devised a way to make explicit what is
implicit in the Yamaha system. And - guess what - some people have
used it to become skilled and competent technicians. So whoever said
that "whoever can't figure out what the Yamaha way really means
probably is never going to be a skilled technician" (or something to
that effect - I am not going to dig through all these digests again
to find it) is all wet. Sometimes a change of perspective can do
wonders to someone's understanding.

So all you Yamaha-37 fans - if it works, use it. And if it doesn't
work for someone - there are other ways.

Israel Stein