Soundboard stiffness variances

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 07:37:37 MST 2008

The problem is that each panel's compression characteristics will be
different or, you could say, have its own distinct personality.  Not only in
terms of how much compression they will take at the outset which will
determine how much crown will form initially, but how well it will withstand
the compression in the short and long term.  Some panels change quite a bit
from the factory to the showroom floor and almost all of them change within
the first year or two.  In an environment with large humidity swings they
will change even more.  I don't know how you would be able to predict that
with any degree of accuracy.  If one insisted on having compression in the
panel then the best way is probably a hybrid system where you underbuild the
precrowned rib support somewhat counting on a certain amount, but less,
compression to achieve the rest of the requisite stiffness.  You still have
the unpredictability of the panel's unique ability to withstand compression,
but reducing the amount might create a somewhat more stable system.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com